Wearing White Pants: How do we do it?
Summer is here and now is the time to whip out those white pants. The white jean, trouser or shorts are perfect for keeping you cool during spring and summer. Put your black jeans away and stop sweltering in this European heat wave.
Not only does a white pant look clean and crisp, but it truly does keep you cooler in the sun by reflecting light instead of absorbing light. So, let’s reflect those rays and shine in white. To me, wearing white represents the epitome of a chic, European summer. Wherever you may be, ideally on an Italian beach somewhere, the white pant should be a go-to. Wearing white may be risky, due to your spaghetti sauce flying everywhere and shady taxi cab seating, but trust me it’s worth it - just keep that stain removal spray handy.
I cannot stress enough my favourite way to wear white pants: Head-to-toe. The runways have seen monochrome red and monochrome beige, but it’s time for monochrome white. Show off your tan and try out a pair of white jeans with a matching white tee and you’ll be surprised how simply great you look. But, if you’re not entirely sold, add some colour to your socks, shoes, bag or light jacket and sweater. A pop of color in a full-white outfit really stands out, while adding contrast and remaining sophisticated.
Here are 5 styles of white bottoms you should test out this summer:
- Linen: Linen screams ‘beach vacation’, but is no longer reserved exclusively for your Dad’s wrinkly shirt. Linen pants and shorts add the perfect amount of relaxation and breathability to your day. That being said, for a city summer, keep the linen to a minimum and opt for a more durable option.
- The Culotte: Time to channel your inner French girl with this cut. The culotte, a.k.a gaucho or palazzo pants have a wide silhouette and end between the knee and your ankle. Due to this wide silhouette, try a fitted top that accentuates and balances out the bottom half. These pants have a tendency to make you look short if you’re not careful, so find a pair that end a few inches above the ankle and are streamlined down the slides. Add a pair of sandals, heel or no heel, or even a flat or loafer to finish off the look.
- The White Pair of Jeans: Here’s where you have some room to play. My personal top two favorite white jean styles are the wide leg/flare or the high waisted, straight leg cut right above the ankle. Both are perfectly stylish for summer and easily paired with your favourite t-shirt or tank top. For the high-waisted pair, try some flat, mid, or high-heeled sandals and match them with your bag.
- The White Short: This is a summer staple, whether in denim, linen or a blend – try adding a lightweight blazer to add some sophistication to these naturally casual options. Since you are showing lots of leg, balance out the top by avoiding tank-tops - unless you remembered your sunscreen.
- The White Trouser: I’m talking dress pants here, the fanciest of our white pant options. Typically, I would suggest a flowy or more tailored approach to the white trouser. A full white suit is always a showstopper, just make sure its lightweight for business or evening occasions. I’d also suggest, of course, a white blouse or tank-top to match and a spectacular pair of pumps.
Tips: Make sure to watch out for the quality and thickness of your white pants because they can go white to see-through very quickly. And don’t forget to spot clean or you can say goodbye to your new favorite pair of whites.
See Related Stories: